Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
Show All Answers
1) Completion of any handgun safety training available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, community college, college, private or public institution or organization, or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the NRA or certain other firearms training certifying bodies (such as the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy (ILEA). Certificate of completion MUST indicate that training was complete for handgun or pistol.
2) Completion of small arms training while serving with the armed forces of the United States of America as evidenced by any of the following: A. For personnel released or retired from active duty, possession of an honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions. This can also be shown with a Form DD-214. B. For personnel on active duty or serving in one of the National Guard or Reserve components of the armed forces of the United States of America, possession of a certificate of completion of basic training with a service record of successful completion of small arms training and qualification.
3) Completion of a law enforcement agency firearms training course that qualifies a peace officer to carry a firearm in the normal course of the peace officer's duties.
Permits to Carry may be picked up Monday through Friday from 8:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. except on holidays.
***Applications are available on the Sheriff's Office Home Page. Sign and date application and drop off or mail to the Washington County Sheriff's Office at PO Box 6, Washington IA 52353. (ACTUAL SIGNATURE REQUIRED)
1) New permits are $50.002) Renewal Permits are $25.003) Corrections Officers permits are available at no cost.4) Duplicate permits are $25.00 and will keep the same issue and expiration dates.5) Plastic permit to carry cards are now available for an additional $10.00.Forms of payment accepted by the Washington County Sheriff's Office are cash, personal check, or money order; we do not accept debit or credit cards.
1) Permit holder must complete handgun/pistol training as indicated previously, within 12 months prior to the expiration of a valid permit to carry.
2) Application must be made at least 30 days prior to expiration of a valid permit to carry.